Effective not later than December 18, 2017, motor carriers not specifically excepted from maintaining a “grid-log” for drivers’ hours of service must require each driver to use an approved (https://csa.fmcsa.dot.gov/devices) Electronic Logging Device (ELD) to record the driver’s duty status.
1. A motor carrier requiring a driver to use an automatic on-board recording device before December 18, 2017 may continue to use such device until December 16, 2019 provided the following information is available:
- The driver can produce upon demand an hours of service chart reflecting on-duty time, and time and sequence of duty status changes of each day.
- Information must be readily available to compliance officers.
- Information must be available at the motor carrier’s principle place of business.
- Driver shall possess records of duty status for the previous 7 consecutive days available for inspection while on duty.